SageCat cruise report

Discuss the Jerry Montgomery designed pocket cruiser SAGE 15 (sloop) and SageCat (catboat version of the Sage 15)

Moderators: matthaler, sal

scoob

SageCat cruise report

Postby scoob » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:36 pm

SageCat owner Cody sent a report on his cruise of Washington State's San Juan Islands in late July '17 -

I had a fantastic cruise in the San juans aboard Sagecat! The first 4 days I spent alone shaking the boat down in cruising trim and the last 6 days and nights were with my wife and one of her best girlfriends and our dog. I was extremely cautious and tentative about how the boat would do with 3 adults and cruising gear aboard but she did great! Her sailing performance was still quite good and we were all able to sleep, cook and lounge aboard. I never tied up to a dock for the entire trip and used an inflatable SUP to shuttle the girls one at a time to shore each day! The v berth is a marvel as all 3 of us were able to sleep, albeit snugly, lying shoulder to shoulder. A big hats off to Jerry on the design and to you all at Sage Marine for a top notch build!

The pics below are of an approximation of our route and one of us at anchor on the south shore of Jones Island.

image1.JPG
image1.JPG (94.19 KiB) Viewed 56 times

image1.JPG
image1.JPG (94.19 KiB) Viewed 56 times
Attachments
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (70.81 KiB) Viewed 56 times

scoob

Re: SageCat cruise report

Postby scoob » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:53 am

Cody has has been kind enough to share more details on his trip. Here is the first installment -

Day One

An ever increasing feeling of nervousness grew inside me as I looked out over Rosario Strait for the first time. I stood in Washington Park in Anacortes, WA after a long day’s drive from my home in northeastern Oregon just as the sun was setting, knowing that I would be crossing this stretch of water the next morning. I had been following the wind forecast for the previous week and with each passing day, the forecast for my departure day had been increasing. As I looked again out over the strait, it seemed peaceful enough, but the winds were on the rise and I had not much of an idea what to expect. After all, this would be my first time sailing in salt water, dealing with tides and their associated currents, in unfamiliar islands, in a boat on which I had little experience, and single handed. What could go wrong? I curled up in the cabin of Sweet Potato, my new Sagecat, and drifted off into a nervous slumber.

launch ramp.jpg
launch ramp.jpg (57.53 KiB) Viewed 9 times

Return to “Sage 15 & SageCat”